Established in 2009, the BuffTutor Network has rapidly grown into a fast and effective tutor referral service. We are always looking for brilliant tutors to join our network! Though we primarily primarily receive requests for Math and Science tutors, we hire tutors from all fields of study. Please read the following document for more information about how the program is structured and for eligibility criteria.
How It Works
Step 1: Finding the Student
We take care of all the marketing required to find the students. Our tutors simply wait for an e-mail from us with the student’s contact information.
Step 2: Keeping track of sessions and payments
Use our online tools to record and keep track of your sessions and payments.
Step 3: Payment
We require students to pay the BuffTutor program upfront for tutor sessions. This protects our tutors by eliminating the risk of students refusing to pay for sessions. Tutors are paid by us every 2 weeks for their work. To pay for our services, a predetermined percent will be deducted from tutor’s earnings before the tutor is paid. For more information, please submit the tutor application form and schedule an interview.
The BuffTutor Network consists primarily of undergraduate & graduate students at CU-Boulder, however any tutor holding at least a Bachelors degree (from any accredited University/College) is allowed to apply. As a tutor, you must:
1) be a U.S.A. citizen or be legally allowed to work in the U.S.A. Unfortunately, J-1 or F-1 international students or any non-immigrants who do not have work permission cannot be a part of the BuffTutor Network.
2) have a 3.0 or better major GPA (out of 4.0) in your field of study, not just a 3.0 cumulative GPA
3) have earned a B+ or better in the course you wish to tutor (a transcript must be provided)
4) have at least one year experience as a tutor, teacher, teaching/learning assistant or instructor
5) have excellent communication skills (the English Language cannot be a barrier even if you are a Foreign Language tutor)
*** Foreign Language tutors must be fluent in the Foreign Language they wish to tutor ***
Additional requirements for undergraduate students
6) be at least a junior in your field of study
7) have completed at least one year at your current college/university
- You cannot tutor a course that you are currently employed by the university as a teaching or learning assistant
- To tutor a course that is part of a series, you must have completed each course in the series with a B or better (and at least a B+ in the course you want to tutor). In other words, to tutor Calc 1, you must have completed Calc 1-3 and achieved at least B+ in Calc 1, and at least a B in Calc 2 and Calc 3.