Established in 2009, the BuffTutor Network has rapidly grown into a fast and effective tutor referral service. Every semester, we receive hundreds of tutor requests from all fields of study(primarily Math & Science), so we are always looking for brilliant and exceptional tutors to add to our network!
We consist of full time and part-time tutors, so we are a great organization for experienced tutors who are students or who are in between jobs/careers. Our tutors have the flexibility to set their own rate and schedule, taking on only as many students as they want or can handle. Please read the following document for more information about how the program is structured and for eligibility criteria.
09/18/2014 - We have been receiveing an unexpectedly high volume of tutor requests, so if you are a Math, Science, Econ or Business tutor, apply now! We have students for you!
How It Works
Step 1: We Find The Student For you
We take care of all the marketing required to find the students. Our tutors simply wait for an e-mail from us with the student’s contact information.
Step 2: Use Our Online Tools To Keep Track of Session Payments and Charges
We provide online tools to record and keep track of all sessions and payments. Tutors can use these tools to check if a student has paid for an upcoming session, charge students for sessions, review student evaluations, and keep track of all payments received from us.
Step 3: Easy Payment System
We require students to pay us upfront for tutor sessions. This protects our tutors by eliminating the risk of students refusing to pay for sessions. Tutors are paid by us every 2 weeks for their work. To pay for our services, a predetermined percent will be deducted from tutor’s earnings before the tutor is paid. For more information, please submit the tutor application form and schedule an interview.
The BuffTutor Network consists primarily of undergraduate & graduate students at CU, however any tutor holding at least a Bachelors degree (from any accredited University/College) is also allowed to apply. As a tutor, you must:
1) be a U.S.A. citizen or be legally allowed to work in the U.S.A.Unfortunately, J-1 or F-1 international students or any non-immigrants who do not have work permission cannot be a part of the BuffTutor Network.
2) have a 3.0 or better major GPA (out of 4.0) in your field of study, not just a 3.0 cumulative GPA
3) have earned a B+ or better in the course you wish to tutor. A transcript must be provided.
4) have at least one year experience as a tutor, teacher, teaching/learning assistant or instructor
5) have excellent communication skills, the English Language cannot be a barrier even if you are a Foreign Language tutor
*** Foreign Language tutors must be fluent in the Foreign Language they wish to tutor ***
6) be able to work with assigned students through the end of the semester and be around until the end of finals. If you have plans to travel during the semester, you cannot be away for more than 7 days in the semester (this does not include school holidays).
Additional requirements for undergraduate students (including transfer students), you must:
7) be at least a junior in your field of study (not just by credit hours)
8) have completed at least one year at your current college/university
- You cannot tutor a course that you are currently employed by the university as a teaching or learning assistant
- To tutor a course that is part of a series, you must have completed each course in the series with a B or better (and at least a B+ in the course you want to tutor). In other words, to tutor Calc 1, you must have completed Calc 1-3 and achieved at least B+ in Calc 1, and at least a B in Calc 2 and Calc 3.
- You can only tutor courses you are proficient in, that are directly related to your field of study, or you have experience tutoring/teaching; in other words, just taking a writing course does not make you capable of being a writing tutor.